Sunday, May 18, 2008

Ambilight

I am at my friend PK's house in Singapore ( How he managed to get a house there is a mystery. Al l that I know is that he did an intern there) and we are sitting in the hall (all of its walls are painted white) watching TV. On the wall against which is the sofa we are sitting on, is a huge glass screen that has a wire going from it to a box on the left wall. We do some tp and then he shows me whats in that box.

The box is a controller for the glass screen. He clicks some buttons on the panel inside the box and the glass screen changes color and with it the ambient light in the room since its placed infront of the twin tubelights on the wall . It was transparent earlier. I then understand wot that contraption does. One can change the lighting in the room with just a few button presses that have some presets defined.

I go ahead and play with the controls. Interestingly there's a small mirror too on the panel. Then something strikes me and I pull out my cellphone. (In real life, a few days ago, I had installed an app on the phone that makes the screen go crazy with all kinds of colors flashing... basically the phone becomes a flashlight with presets of color patterns.) I start the app and flash my phone at the mirror.

Now's the best and the last part. The room's lighting syncs with the patterns on the phone's screen. It looks amazing. I play with it for some time and then...

No comments: